Thursday, October 29, 2009

Walking Home From School in Country Club

 


One of the pleasures of living this dissertation-writing life is being able to pick up my kids from school every day. Sure, it's sometimes a hassle; their day ends at 3:45, while my research and reading time could easily extend until 10:00 or 11:00 every night. However, the girls are always happy to see me. How often can we say that about the adults in our lives?

Another bonus, at least this week, has been the weather. I've bitched and moaned about snow, frost, rain, clouds, and the general bleakness of this autumn. But the Octobers I remember from my childhood here were always vividly lit with color of primary brightness. We enjoyed a day like that on Tuesday.

I know that in Davis the Sierras would peek out from behind the Central Valley haze on days like this, and I miss the hell out of that. I really do. But the colors I saw on a five-block walk through our neighborhood reminded me of why I so missed Midwest autumns when we lived in California.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment